The Sunday before Thanksgiving, KidzVuz hosted our fifth event — but by far our biggest one! It was FashionTweenStas: Get your Girl On. 100 tween girls (yes, I am insane!) and their moms (less insane) in NYC for a fashionable, fabulous, and fun day filled with all kind of great stuff for the girls to try, touch, experience, and learn.
Here’s what the girls did:
1. They got to Get Their Fashion On, by styling The Children’s Place mannequins with fabulous Holiday looks. The folks from Children’s Place set up basic mannequins, and the girls got to use the huge selection of fabulous accessories and layers to give the mannequins their own special flair!
2. They got to Get Their Tech On – with a hands on look at the brand spanking new Microsoft Surface. The Microsoft Surface team showed the girls how they could control their Xbox using the Surface, how easy it is to attach the keyboard, and how utterly, totally cool the whole thing is! Lots of the girls are putting it at the top of their Holiday Wish list. (I know it’s on the top of mine!)
3. Girls also Got Their Craft On – with hands on crafting at the Fashion Angels Table, where girls got to design fabulous fashions using the Fashion Angels Project Runway kits, and lots and lots of colorful Tapefitti. And with seriously cute and clever activity books from iScream NY – the same people who make the every-tween-wants-one super sweet pillows.
We even had One Direction there….well, sorta! Courtesy of the kind folks at Wish Factory! (We did wish for them to really appear, but, these guys were still fun to have around!)
What with all the Getting On going on, our girls got hungry! Thanks to Nature’s Path for providing healthy snacks that actually tasted fantastic, and to Fairway Market, for underwriting the “food food” that kept the girls going all afternoon. (and trust us, they were going ALL afternoon!)
4. They Got their Giving Back On
Of course it wasn’t all fun and games. Part of the event was about getting girls involved with giving back this Holiday Season. KidzVuz teamed up with K.I.D.S., a 26 year old non-profit that helps Kids In Distressed Situation with providing them brand new clothing, toys, bedding and supplies. Brand new! Our Hurricane Sandy Relief Raffle raised $621 dollars, KidzVuz matched with a $621 donation of our own, and because KIDS gives $10 worth of free merchandise for every $1 they raise, our donation added up to $12,000 in brand new goods to local area kids effected by Sandy.
We’re looking forward to having KIDS as our non-profit partner at more events and initiatives throughout the year.
What about the Moms?
You’ll notice I haven’t even gotten to the Moms yet. We didn’t forget about them! They had their own Mom Lounge presented by Audible.com, So what happened in there?
Suzanne filled the Moms in on how to choose a mobile plan for your tween, and how to keep tweens safe online and on mobile. There are lots of great tips for tech savvy (and trying to be savvy moms) from Suzanne and her team at Techlicious.
Our Moms also got holiday party-making tips from professional party planner extraordinaire, Amy Jacobs of Chandelier Events in new York City. Just check out her gorgeous, unexpected, and fabulous table design:
Amy worked with the folks at Boozecarriage – a NYC based beverage delivery service – to create a KidzVuz signature cocktail (and a mocktail) for our fabulous Moms, featuring Pisco Porton. Aren’t they purdy?
- Our Mom Lounge Sponsors, Audible.com, provided the moms with free downloads from Audible.com, and explained and demo-ed their new WhisperSync App, which allows you to switch back and forth between reading a Kindle book and listening to it as an Audible audiobook without losing your place. That means you can keep the story going on the books you love, when you need your hands and eyes to do something else other than sit quietly and read. In addition to remembering position, Whispersync for Voice keeps your notes and bookmarks across devices as well. Pretty seriously cool.
Plus, they had these totally adorable cake pops wearing head phones. Love ’em!
And, by the way, most all of these fabulous photos? They were taken by amazing event photographer, Josh Strauss of Josh Strauss Studios.
- Microsoft Surface Tablet & PopUp Store Preview (mommyfactor.net)